Ukrainian Biochemical Journal (UBJ) was founded by Prof. O V Palladin in Kharkiv in 1926 and was titled "Scientific Records of Ukrainian Biochemical Institute". That journal was the first periodical which concerned biochemistry in the territory of the USSR and the sixth one among the world biochemical periodicals. Its title was changed several times, the enumeration sequence of its volumes being preserved. To suit the authors the papers are published in one of three languages – in Ukrainian, Russian or English. Summaries are printed in three languages as well.
Beginning from 1934, the Editorial Board of UBJ had been taking for publishing the papers by the authors from other republics of the USSR, and then those from foreign countries.
In 1986-1992 the journal was published in English at Allerton Press in New York. In different years the journal run was distributed in 25-30 countries of five continents. It is reviewed by the major reference editions of the world (Dzherelo (The Source), Fiziko-khimicheskaya biologiya (Physici-Chemical Biology), Current Contents, Index medicus, PubMed, Science Citation Index, Journal Citation Reports, etc.). The post of the journal Editor-in-Chief was occupied by O.V.Palladin (1926-1972), M.F.Guly (1973-1981), V.K.Lishko (1981-1989), S.V.Komissarenko (1990-1992), G.V.Donchenko (1993-1998). Acting Editors-in-Chief were Ya.V.Belik (1989-1990) and Yu.D.Kholodova (1993). Beginning from 1998 this post is occupied by S.V.Komissarenko.
The stages of development of biochemistry are traced on pages of UBJ during its 80-year existence. The journal always published and continues publishing reviews in practically all biochemical problems, which development has formed biochemistry as the basic science among biological sciences which investigate the living matter.
© The Ukrainian Biochemical Journal